Learn the essentials of copywriting and get started as a professional copywriter
It’s no secret that some of the world’s top novelists and screenwriters started their careers as copywriters – Fay Weldon, Peter Carey, Philip Adams, Di Morrissey, Salman Rushdie, Don DeLillo, Dorothy Sayers, to name just a few.
Sure, advertising was just a means to an end for most of them; a day job to keep them solvent until they were ready to move on (and up). But their time in advertising wasn’t a waste.
As copywriters, they learned how to write economically and on deadline; how to conduct research quickly and accurately; how to walk a mile in the shoes of another and how to vary pace, tone, and style on cue. All valuable lessons.
Not sure what copywriting is? It’s okay, most people don’t – that’s why it’s called the ‘secret occupation’. First we’ll tell you what it isn’t – it has nothing to do with ‘copyright’; the © symbol. Instead, copywriting is the art of writing words (or ‘copy’) that sell, and the people who write those words are copywriters.
We’re surrounded by copywriting, but most of the time we just don’t know it. TV ads, radio ads, magazine ads, websites, blogs, billboards, social media posts, brochures, packaging, signage – it’s all copy, it all sells something and someone has to write it. So, why not you?
If you’re tired of working for peanuts to support your creative endeavours, there is simply no better option than to become a professional copywriter. You get to write when you like, where you like, for whom you like, from home, with no overheads, staff or equipment needed. And you’ll get paid well to do it. This 5-part course will teach you how to get started without any prior experience.
The delivery and content of Copywriting Essentials far exceeded my expectations. I hung onto every word and will revisit the lessons to glean more from the hard work and expertise you generously shared. I’m truly grateful. - Mae Manners
The delivery and content of Copywriting Essentials far exceeded my expectations. I hung onto every word and will revisit the lessons to glean more from the hard work and expertise you generously shared. I’m truly grateful.
- Mae Manners
Bernadette is first class – she made everything easy to understand, kept me interested and gave excellent feedback on our assignments. - Sherry Dixon
Bernadette is first class – she made everything easy to understand, kept me interested and gave excellent feedback on our assignments.
- Sherry Dixon
Our training gets results
This inspirational course has kick-started the careers of some of Australia’s most successful copywriters, many of whom have gone on to have illustrious careers as creative directors, digital copywriters, copywriting ‘guns’ and more. We’ve even trained the copywriters who go on to train other copywriters!
Even if you don’t want to be a full-time copywriter, just having the skills to write great copy will give you the freedom to earn great money while you write your big novel, screenplay or blog – and you’ll learn some handy writing tips along the way that will help you in your other work, including how to overcome procrastination, deal with fear, use deadlines effectively, as well as how to write copy to help you promote your own creative work – be it a book, a movie or a play.
Featured in The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, and on Radio National’s Life Matters, this best-selling course is widely regarded to be one of Australia’s most successful copywriting courses for those seeking practical, real-world training that generates paid work.
You’ll learn how to:
- use a unique 7-step process to write great copy for any product, any service, any medium at any time
- build your confidence as a copywriter and charge top dollar for the work you create
- use tried and tested, proven headline formulas that get instant results
- take a Creative Brief, why you should and the disasters that await you if you don’t
- use sophisticated research techniques to become an instant expert on any topic and any product
- identify the top 10 on- and off-page SEO copywriting factors that determine how a website gets ranked (this technique alone will guarantee clients will pay you double the standard writing rate)
- write EDMs (electronic direct mailers), direct mail letters, and brochures using a fast-track writing process that takes your writing from average to outstanding in just 13 minutes flat! (We guarantee it.)
- Write compelling, persuasive long-form content (blogs, articles, FAQs, ebooks) without even typing a word or picking up a pen! If you can’t write, or don’t have time to, but really, really need to, this technique alone will be worth the cost of the course.
This course makes you business-ready the moment - Kylie Castor
you've finished the course. Bernadette is superb.
She knows her stuff and how to present in a way that builds the students' knowledge in the best most practical way.
This course makes you business-ready the moment
- Kylie Castor
Who is the course for?
This introductory course is brilliant for:
- creative writers who want to learn the art of writing copy for profit
- journalists who want to add copywriting to their suite of corporate services
- entrepreneurs and business owners wanting to write great copy (and don’t want to pay a freelance copywriter to do it)
- Anyone looking to dip their toe in the copywriting waters to see if the copywriting life is for them
Learn how to craft ‘words that sell’ – and unlock a limitless revenue stream you never knew you had!
If you are already a copywriter and want to build your business, have a look at our How to Build a Successful Freelance Copywriting Business course.